Download a leaflet copy of the Charter here: Food for All
To sign up indicating your support to the Charter go to the Support The Hamilton Food Charter page or download the Endorsement form for Hamilton’s Food Charter here and submit it to the Food Security Committee by fax
Hamilton’s Food Charter envisions a healthy, sustainable and just food system. It seeks to guide municipal policies and community action. Hamilton will make the vision a reality through commitment to action based on the principles set out below.
1. A healthy food system will:
- Enable the overall health and well-being of Hamiltonians
- Help to reduce the risks of chronic diseases
- Reduce the risk of food-borne illness
- Allow for nutritious and personally acceptable foods in all places where food is available, such as home, workplace, school, retail settings, community centres, and entertainment complexes.
2. A sustainable food system will:
- Ensure the economic viability of the Hamilton food sector for producers, processors, distributors and retailers
- Preserve and protect Hamilton farmland, watersheds and the species diversity of animal, plant and seed stock
- Allow for the development of urban agriculture
- Use processes that sustain or enhance the natural environment in both rural and urban settings at every stage of the food system
- Lessen the impact of variations in the food supply
- Celebrate food that is grown locally
3. A just food system will:
- Provide opportunities for all residents to acquire safe, nutritious and personally acceptable food
- Give a voice to people marginalized by the present food system
- Reflet the real cost of food production
- Support a living wage economy to allow everyone to buy food
Education is key
Education about food and food systems is important. It will form an integral part of programs and policies developed as a result of this Charter.
This Charter will support initiatives that develop food knowledge and skills over the entire food system from growing to harvesting, buying, storing, cooking, eating and disposing of food.
To sign up indicating your support to the Charter go to the Support The Hamilton Food Charter page.